Thursday, January 22, 2009

Interesting article

""The fine line between what's worth documenting and what's not is a hard one to define. We immediately assume that the most important, the biggest, the most incredible moments are those that should be recorded. But it's these very moments that are best to experience live, with our full focus.

As religious-focused blogger Martin Kelley notes, "there are times where our presence is much more important than any documentation." (He had just surprised himself by reviewing the grainy, blurry photos he felt it necessary to take while watching a bride walk down the aisle. In retrospect, this was exactly the kind of moment that could have gone unrecorded.)"

for the full post go to

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/technology_is_great_but_are_we_forgetting_to_live.php#comment-124077

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Maureen
Happy New Year! Found the link to your site from the pings on my blog, you must have hyperlinked to me somewhere. I love this post. I have often reflected on this when I am working alongside children, shall I just enjoy this moment? or get a camera to document the learning. This raises interesting points for me as an ICT Facilitator where teachers are encouraged to use ICT in their teaching. Thanks for sharing, and wonderful to see you blogging.
Cheers
Naketa

tanyaB said...

It's a really interesting subject and was something of dilemma when I was teaching. Judging the moment and deciding priority was all a part of daily interactions. I guess it's a part of that question 'who are we documenting for?'

As an aside I had (kind of)relevant conversation with my eight year old daughter just recently. She was relating certain moments from her early childhood centre. I know that some of what she was telling me just hadn't happened but were very 'real' memories for her. I'm sure that she has created these moments from the photographs in her portfolio. It reiterated to me what a powerful medium photographs can be.